- On the third day there was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
- Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding.
- When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine."
- (And) Jesus said to her, "Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come."
- His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you."
- Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings, each holding twenty to thirty gallons.
- Jesus told them, "Fill the jars with water." So they filled them to the brim.
- Then he told them, "Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter." So they took it.
- And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom
- and said to him, "Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; but you have kept the good wine until now."
- Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs in Cana in Galilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples began to believe in him.
1 Et die tertio nuptiae factae sunt in Cana Galilaeae, et erat mater Iesu ibi;
2 vocatus est autem et Iesus et discipuli eius ad nuptias.
3 Et deficiente vino, dicit mater Iesu ad eum: “ Vinum non habent ”.
4 Et dicit ei Iesus: “ Quid mihi et tibi, mulier? Nondum venit hora mea ”.
5 Dicit mater eius ministris: “ Quodcumque dixerit vobis, facite ”.
6 Erant autem ibi lapideae hydriae sex positae secundum purificationem Iudaeorum, capientes singulae metretas binas vel ternas.
7 Dicit eis Iesus: “ Implete hydrias aqua ”. Et impleverunt eas usque ad summum.
8 Et dicit eis: “ Haurite nunc et ferte architriclino ”. Illi autem tulerunt.
9 Ut autem gustavit architriclinus aquam vinum factam et non sciebat unde esset, ministri autem sciebant, qui haurierant aquam, vocat sponsum architriclinus
10 et dicit ei: “ Omnis homo primum bonum vinum ponit et, cum inebriati fuerint, id quod deterius est; tu servasti bonum vinum usque adhuc ”.
11 Hoc fecit initium signorum Iesus in Cana Galilaeae et manifestavit gloriam suam, et crediderunt in eum discipuli eius.