- Know this, my dear brothers: everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath,
- for the wrath of a man does not accomplish the righteousness of God.
- Therefore, put away all filth and evil excess and humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you and is able to save your souls.
- Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves.
- For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his own face in a mirror.
- He sees himself, then goes off and promptly forgets what he looked like.
- But the one who peers into the perfect law of freedom and perseveres, and is not a hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, such a one shall be blessed in what he does.
- If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, his religion is vain.
- Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
EPISTULA IACOBI 1
19 Scitis, fratres mei dilecti. Sit autem omnis homo velox ad audiendum, tardus autem ad loquendum et tardus ad iram;
20 ira enim viri iustitiam Dei non operatur.
21 Propter quod abicientes omnem immunditiam et abundantiam malitiae, in mansuetudine suscipite insitum verbum, quod potest salvare animas vestras.
22 Estote autem factores verbi et non auditores tantum fallentes vosmetipsos.
23 Quia si quis auditor est verbi et non factor, hic comparabitur viro consideranti vultum nativitatis suae in speculo;
24 consideravit enim se et abiit, et statim oblitus est qualis fuerit.
25 Qui autem perspexerit in lege perfecta libertatis et permanserit, non auditor obliviosus factus sed factor operis, hic beatus in facto suo erit.
26 Si quis putat se religiosum esse, non freno circumducens linguam suam sed seducens cor suum, huius vana est religio.
27 Religio munda et immaculata apud Deum et Patrem haec est: visitare pupillos et viduas in tribulatione eorum, immaculatum se custodire ab hoc saeculo.